Friday, May 1, 2009

Gratitude Friday

I've been meaning to start a bit of an online gratitude journal, but haven't quite gotten around to it. Today, we received something in the mail that confirmed that the time to start is now. Today, Josie received a birthday card in the mail from Rosalie and Ray Harris, parents of Jen Harris, Josie's namesake. As I bawled my way back to the house from our mailbox, it occurred to me how much I have to be thankful for. And so the gratitude journal starts today.

Today I am grateful for
- the life that I have been given, that is protected so bravely by men and women like Captain Jennifer Harris. My beautiful home in my beautiful town surrounded by the beautiful Puget Sound and Cascade Mountains.

- my job. I have the best job in the whole wide world. And when I get frustrated because nap times don't occur and, as a result, things that I had planned don't get done , I need to remember that spending time with my children is not a chore. It's a blessing.

- healthy children. Josie had her follow-up at Children's today and the report was good! Her left kidney, while still not the same size as the right, has been growing and the urine reflux, while still present, is become more mild. All signs are positive that she will probably outgrow this whole thing. We don't have to go back for another year! And Marshall was the best big brother, trying to hold Josie while she was getting her blood pressure taken. Sitting and listening the whole time.

-SUNSHINE! It's beautiful today. It's the kind of day when I can't believe how fortunate I am to live next to a gorgeous park full of hiking trails and adventures for imaginative little boys.

- Will's new job. He is learning the ropes and (of course) doing a great job. We both appreciate how lucky our family is that, in this economy, Will was able to find such a good job, that is such a fit for him, and that allows me to continue to take care of our children full-time.

-Will. Will was joking the other night that it's been a long nine years. Nine years since we started seriously dating? Really? Number one: Am I that old? Number two: What did I do to be so lucky to find the love of my life so young? (Because, clearly, I am NOT that old. The other day at the Starbucks drive-thru, the cashier said, "Here you go young lady. Have a nice day.") I love that I never ever have to question where I stand with Will. Our marriage gets stronger and stronger with every year, every experience. And by providing me with such a solid relationship, Will enables me to grow and learn in so many other areas, as a mother and as a woman.

-That the big heavy toy that Josie just pulled off the shelf did not land on her head. Okay, I should probably finish up.

2 comments:

Erin said...

thanks, needed that reminder of all i'm grateful for too! especially liked the last one...;)

Sheree said...

i heart this post and need to think/write/document somehow what i'm grateful because there is so much...