Thursday, July 1, 2010

Adventure: Free First Thursday at the Seattle Art Museum

There are a bunch of museums in Seattle that are free for the First Thursday of every month and we've been to the Burke Museum in the past (aka the Dinosaur Museum) but I have always wanted to try to the Seattle Art Museum.  I pictured us wandering through the galleries, the children looking quietly at the different collections, me pointing out different elements of the pieces.  Generally, a very hip, cool, pleasant morning enriching my children's lives.

However, my children are related to Papa Roberts.  (You've heard the story of how Nana tried to have a similar outing with her young family at the Norman Rockwell museum, only to find that her husband, NOT HER SONS, had been kicked out for touching a painting, haven't you?)

Let's just say that it was a little stressful.  (I will add that we did go with our friends C, M, and B and mom Anne making it a 5 kid to 2 adult ratio, but I have a feeling it would have been a bit chaotic with just my two.)  At one point, I was trying to take a picture and Josie was ducking under the barrier rope to go see a statue made of glass bottles up close.  I grabbed her by her cute little jumper before anyone noticed.)

But it was fun, and we did get to see some art.  However, the big hit was the Family Room, where we met up with our friends, the Wacky Zackeys. What a nice surprise!

At one point, all the kids were lined up looking out the windows to the street below.  It would have been a great picture had I been quicker on the draw.

In the museum, we had C and Marsh take Josie's hands to "help her remember not to touch the art".  I thought I was so clever and had knocked off three birds with one stone.


Right after this picture, I was kindly reminded to turn off my flash.  Oops. So the rest of the pictures are blurry.  But I was determined to get one shot near an actual piece of art.  This is the best I got.  (Next to the aforementioned glass bottle statue.  I believe you can actually see Josie beginning to duck under the barrier.)

All in all, I am so glad we went, and the kids say they had a great time.  I think however, we might wait a few more years before we got back.  And maybe I'll have a glass of wine first. :)

No comments: