I love my book club. It's comprised mostly of ladies I worked with at Brighton and has expanded to include friends. It is such a wonderful group of women of all ages who tolerate me coming to every meeting even though I have only read about a quarter of the books (and that's being generous). They are fabulous and I can't wait to work with them again in the fall! (For two afternoon a week in second grade partnering with Sandy. Teaching science and social studies to my former kindergartners....best...job...ever.)
Anyway, the ladies of the club decided to go camping this past month and were gracious enough to allow me to come with my two little rascals, even though no one else was bringing children. Which worked out fabulous for me since a) all of the women were teachers and therefore like children and b) none of them currently have young children so they being around mine was kind of fun (if I do say so myself). Lots of people who heard I was going camping with the children without Will said things like "Oh, you are so brave" or "I can't imagine how you could do that." Yeah, you could, if you had six other aunties there to watch over them (okay....and me...watch over me too....).
We had a fabulous time. It was HOT....so hot....(that's how far behind I am....we went camping when it was hitting the 100s here), but we were in the perfect place. The minute we got too hot, we could go down to the river and cool off.
All the other ladies had big hikes planned for the two days. I knew we weren't going to be able to participate in those, but I thought we might be able to do some little hikes in the area. So on the second day, I tried for a wheelchair accessible hike that followed the path of the old Great Northern Railway line. I figured, nice level hike...interesting diversions along the way...PERFECT! Auntie Lin came with us because she wanted something a little more low key too (and secretly I think she wanted to alone time with the kiddos :)).
This picture was taken right after Marshall whined enough to get us to stop again and right before he had the biggest meltdown I have seen in a while. He stopped and sat down in the middle of the trail and wouldn't move. We had to do some major ice cream bribing and pep-talking just to get him to walk back to the car. Yeah, we'll have to do the Iron Goat Trail another time when it's not quite so hot. But the afternoon was saved by the beautiful Skykomish.
Marshall and Auntie Lin had a fabulous time by the river. They are best buds now. As a matter of fact, the other day when the mailman was dropping off a package, Marshall says, out of the blue, "Who was that at the door? Auntie Lin?"
Anyway, that beautiful little spot was right by our campsite. Perfect. It was a fabulous weekend and I wish I had gotten more pictures of the whole gang. But I didn't. Instead I will leave you with this picture.
And if that doesn't brighten your Monday morning, frankly, I don't know what will.






No comments:
Post a Comment