First I have to share a picture from my morning hike with Nalu. Eventually we found the trail and the sun. I tell you what, we don't get a lot of sun here in the winter, but when we do, it is BRIGHT. A plus of living so far north on the globe: a sunrise hike is much more attainable. (I believe it was about 10 in this picture)
But back to our advent calendar.
Today was the day that we set up my beloved nativity scene. This day makes me happy every year.
See the addition to our decorations this year? My dear norsk friend (and teaching partner) Ingrid gave us these advent candles. It's a Norwegian tradition to have one and she wanted to make sure that our home wasn't left out. (She really is the best. This year, she cooked our family Thanksgiving dinner on actual American Thanksgiving. WITH A TURKEY....AND STUFFING....and her husband even looked up Thanksgiving on Wikipedia so they would know what it should be like. Seriously. The best.)
But I digress.
We followed up our nativity scene set up with a reading from one of my favorite Christmas books, The Nativity illustrated by Julie Vivas. The pictures are so great in this book. It makes the Christmas story so real and relatable. I guarantee that, when any woman who has ever given birth looks at Vivas' depiction of a very pregnant Mary trying to get on a donkey for the journey to Bethlehem, she will see the Christmas story in a whole new light.
And now the children are tucked into their beds and I am going to read a good book. (And pretend I am not jealous that my husband is on his way to warm, sunny Rio.)
No comments:
Post a Comment