To which I replied, "What is the Rocko Holiday? And where did you hear about this?"
He said that he heard about it on Sesame Street. And to (attempt to) quote Marshall," The Rocko Holiday is when you thank people for all the wonderful Christmas presents, thank the President, and tell all your friends that you love them like a brother or sister."
Oh of course. I had almost forgotten about the Rocko Holiday. Silly me. Thank goodness I have a 5 year old so I don't forget such important celebrations.
When I mentioned that Wednesday also happened to be Grandpa's birthday, he said,"Yeah. The Rocko Holiday happens every January on Grandpa's birthday."
Again, foolish, foolish mom.
Now if you know anything about Marshall, you would know that he had the day's activities planned out to the nines. Especially what types of foods are tradtionally eaten on the Rocko Holiday. (Which by the way if you say it a lot starts to sound like Barrack Obama Day. Which makes me think that all that NPR we listen to in the car is seeping into his brain given all the State of the Union coverage on Tuesday. When I asked Marshall if that's what he meant, he indignantly replied, "No MOM! It's THE ROCKO HOLIDAY.")
Anyway, the Rocko Holiday had to start out with sprinkle cereal.
Marshall and Josie dressed themselves today in "fancy clothes" for the holiday. (Sorry it's sideways. I didn't load it right and I am lazy.) (On a side note, I was a) super impressed that Josie actually matched her outfit on her own and b) told she had decided to go "commando" when I inquired as to whether she had put on underwear as well)
Right after I took this picture, Marshall turned to Josie and said, "May I?", grabbed her hands, and started dancing. When did you start watching Cary Grant movies, Little Man?
Then we moved onto making a birthday cake for Grandpa, which wasn't originally in the Rocko Holiday plan laid out by Marshall, but was welcomed into it. (It also wasn't a chocolate cake because Grandpa's favorite flavor is lemon. This caused a mini-tantrum, followed by a period of self-imposed quiet reflection in his room, after which he announced, "Now I know what birthdays are about. It's not about what you want, it's letting the birthday boy get everything they want." Hmmm.....close. :))
Hazel joined us for these festivities.
Next, the traditional bracelet making for "friends that are like family" occurred.
(Marsh had big plans for who he was going to make bracelets for, Kellan, Bella, Emri (our neighbor), Mr. John (our other neighbor), Quin, Miss Ella and Miss Diane, etc. He only completed 2 before the activity got old. One for Bella and one for me.)
A snack (with more sprinkles OF COURSE)
A birthday celebration for Grandpa was next on the lineup. Again, not everyone does this on the Rocko Holiday, but since it happens to land on his birthday, our family does include special activities for Grandpa. (My friend Kate would have been appalled at the presentation. I was running a bit low on time. But hey, it all tasted good and we agreed that the still warm lemon curd added a little something to the cake.)
School and work somewhat interrupted the Rocko Holidays festivities, but apparently, afterschool, Grandpa and Grandma took them to Marina Beach Park where a man was playing guitar and Marshall decided that everyone needed to dance. So all was not lost.
And finally the traditional dinner of chicken and rice was served (oddly, without sprinkles), where I thoroughly disappointed Marshall by adding green beans to the plate. ("No MOM! You aren't supposed to have vegetables on the Rocko Holiday!")
What I am going to do with this outrageously creative child?
And this answer is clearly, Love him to pieces.
3 comments:
Hilarious! I can't decide which part was my favorite...but I feel very badly that we somehow missed the Rocko Holiday. Next year!
I love this and the cake presentation is PERFECT!
Thank you Marshall for the new holiday, and for letting H and I be a little part of it. That cake WAS delicious! You were a rockstar Mom that day Chrissy, not that you aren't everyday...but you did all that under the "big top" all morn, wow!
Post a Comment