Monday, April 23, 2012

Orienteering

Oh my, I have a horrible sense of direction.  I never thought it was really bad.  But really, it's bad.  There is so much water here that my normal standby (toward the water, toward the mountains.....Thank you Hawaii for introducing me to this lovely system) goes completely haywire.  Because THIS is where we live.

Yeah, see all that water?  And this is just the downtown area where we currently are.  It doesn't even show where our house is going to be.  This is the entire area.

Yeah, I am really really confused.  Luckily I got my iPhone back up and running which means I have a map everywhere I go and I have a camera to take pictures like this one of all this beeee-yooo-teee-full water. (And my goof ball kids)

(And yes, the color is off in all of these pictures.  I think it's the way I uploaded them.  I'll go straight from the phone next time.)

So for further orientation, let me show you a little of our ridiculously beautiful and adorable town.  Apparently the whole town burnt down in 1904.  Luckily for the citizens of Aalesund, Kaiser Wilhelm from Germany used to vacation in the area and sent a whole bunch of money and supplies and there was a depression in the rest of Norway, thus a whole lot of architects and construction workers were available for the rebuild.  And so they made it a shining example of Art Deco design.  And for the next few weeks we are lucky enough to live right in the heart of it.  Literally.  This is where we are living.  People take pictures of it daily.

See that junk in the third floor windows? Yeah, that's us. 

Oh, did I mention that all of these islands have loads of mountains? Which make for amazing vistas like this. (Also really good for the leg muscles.)

So all in all, we are pretty down right lucky.

Even if we are lost all the time.


2 comments:

Erin said...

beautiful! hey at least if you're lost all the time you can explore new places!love seing the pics.:)miss you too!

Emily said...

Love the pictures, its so pretty there!