Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Oh dear....

I am woefully behind.  And I really do want to keep up this blog.  Mostly because I have a horrible memory and already I have a much better record/recollection of Josie's infanthood than Marshall's because I have recorded it on the blog.

Thus, I need to keep it going so when my kids ask me later on in life, "When did I learn to read?" or "I wasn't terrible at two, was I?", I can look back and tell them without having to make up stuff and pretend to remember.

And I was just going to do a catch up post, but looking at our photos from February, there are many events that deserve attention.

Like this time when Marshall and Josie decided that they need to go to the beach.  So they created one in Marshall's room.

Coloring the ocean.  Clearly one has to get into one's bathing suit when preparing to go to the beach.

Sunbathing

Swimming in the ocean

Sunshine on the ceiling (Josie added the rainbow.)


So this last picture was a result of my ah-ha moment for the evening.  Because yes, this was the evening. In the witching hour right before dinner.  And I'll admit, I was cranky.  And my initial reaction to setting up a beach was "No" because frankly, who wants to start a big project right before dinner?  But I caught myself right before I was about to suggest that they go into our normal routine of watching a show while I make dinner.  What am I thinking? Why I am going to stop this creative activity and suggest TV watching?!? Just because I am tired and cranky and it's the end of the day?  Absolutely not.  So I decided to let it evolve.  Even though reason said that dinner need to be made.  (And it did get made....not a problem.) Even though reason told me that it was the end of the day and not the time to start a big production. (Which is turned out wasn't that big of a deal at all.)  Even though it was a chilly day and I was tired and the last thing I wanted to do was put on a bathing suit. (Which was still not super pleasant, but I was able to convince the kids that it was a windy day at the beach and I needed a sweatshirt)

And in a moment of clarity it occurred to me that THIS is why I am a mostly stay at home mom.
So that when my kids feel like they want to go to the beach, they have the time, space, and freedom to create their own.

And sometimes I need to let go of reason.
Go with the flow.
Crank the heat up and put on my bathing suit.

And just let it happen.

2 comments:

Erin said...

So cute! I love it and the creative cuteness of your kiddos!

Amanda said...

You are such an inspiration to me as a mom! I love how creative you are, I love that you recognize how much easier it would be to stick with a plan (which is what I usually do) and instead you allow your kids to be kids and I know for a fact they will remember you and love you for just that!!!
Thank you for sharing these stories and for continuing to inspire me!!