Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Chicken at Four


After a month of birthday celebrations, our little Chicken turned four last week.  And there is oh so much I want to remember about her right now.

When Josie speaks, she does so with flair.  She frequently tosses her head for emphasis, in a manner slightly Bollywood-esque.  It is very adorable, but sadly also turning a little sassy.  She is always very earnest when telling a story and includes details down to the most minute.  And in order to keep up with this family of talkers, her vocabulary is extraordinary.  So much so, that it is hard for me to remember that she did indeed just turn four.  She wants so badly to keep up with the big kids in so many ways.

That being said, we are entering a phase where she wants to be a "baby" and I have try my best to only slightly play along so as not to encourage the extreme. (Because I've seen what happens when I do, and it's not fun for anyone in the end.)  When in reality, all I want to do is pick her up and cuddle and confirm that yes, she is my baby.

This poor girl has so many nicknames, Josie, Jo, Jo Jo, Chicken, Jose, Miss Josephine, and my own special name Bean, that we often joke about her having an identity crisis.  But I think that's about the last thing we have to worry about.  Josie is very sure about where she stands on most issues.  Lucky for us, she tends to be open on many things, but when she is firm, there is no budging her.  And dare I say, we give in frequently.  How could you not?  And she is so amicable. Often when we give her partially what she wants, she smiles and says, "Oh, that's what I meant!" (Because of course, she can't be wrong either.  Just misunderstood.)

She and her brother are still the best of friends, but alas, the sibling nit picking has begun.  "He hit me!" "She spit on me!"  (Yes, that's SPIT.  Luckily she reserves it for her brother but still, it comes out at 4? I really thought that type of thing was supposed to happen earlier.)  But she still wants to be a scientist like her brother (that is when she is taking a break from  being a "Standing on One Leg Teacher".....I assume this leads to a career in dance or yoga?  Maybe zoo keeper, flamingo specialist?).

And when Josie is a scientist, she has a whole plethora of tools that she packs for herself.  On a recent trip to the beach, Marshall hurriedly gathered all his science tools in his backpack and Josie gathered hers too.  Except when I picked up Josie's backpack, it was completely empty. When I asked her about it, I was informed that it was NOT empty.  She had packed her telescope and her microscope. SEE?  This girl has a fabulous imagination and imaginative play is her favorite activity.  And mine.  I love when I get to spy on her talking quietly to herself or setting up an elaborate scenario (currently it's almost always related to camping). When I mistakenly answer a question or ask what she is talking to me about, I am informed, "Mom, I'm not talking to YOU."  Funny though, she really isn't into dolls.  Stuffed animals, yes.  Camping tents, yes.  Tea Parties, yes.  Dolls and doll accessories, no.  My little ponies and other character toys, briefly.  Fascinating.  She really wants to be part of the scene herself apparently.  And she's not ready to have a baby. (Whew....)

Unfortunately, we are going through some slight behavior issues coinciding almost immediately with our arrival to Norway.  Who would have guessed? :)  She and her brother trying to be "funny" to get attention and make a name for themselves I suppose.  Unfortunately, that name results in "Crazy loud American children who do not respect each other or their parents". However, I will not dwell on that, suffice to say that Josie is trying to figure out her public identity now that we are in Norway and that she requires a little more...ahem....guidance in that area.

The trouble with Josie is that she can just be so darn sweet.  So loving.  She frequently stops mid conversation to say "I love you Mommy."  And her favorite phrase to scream at the top of her lungs to test an echo-y space is, "I LOVE MY WHOLE FAMILY!!!"  (Difficult to try to hush that up.  I mean, who doesn't want to hear that echoed back ten times over?)  She just loves so much and I hope that she always will.  She's enthusiastic and friendly and fearless.  Whatever she does, she jumps in with both feet.  She adorable (and she knows it). She is completely a Daddy's girl and they both know it.  She expects good things and she works to bring them about.  She is conscientious and a problem solver.  She is the only person to regularly take off the old toilet paper tube and place the new roll in it's rightful place.  She loves to have a job and she does it well.  She screams bloody murder when I brush her hair and refuses anything but an occasional hair clip or a head band.

She is always herself. Sweet, lovable, tough, adventurous, imaginative Josie.

J O S I E.....that's my Josie.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Love it :) Shes a lucky girl to be loved so much!

merp said...

Love.

Rob Marshall said...

Josie is a special little girl. I hate to say this, but I think acrobat and pole dancer might be possibilities as well.