I know I know, not even a Christmas picture!
But things have been crazy around here and I very purposefully had us SLOW down and enjoy the holidays because I knew that January would be a whirlwind. And I also very purposefully decided not to add the stress of my annual daily advent posting to the mix. And it was lovely. And we truly enjoyed the holidays this year, especially in light of the changes that we knew where right around the corner.
And we are currently in the midst of the predicted whirlwind. Will leaves in a week for the big N and I am currently in beginning my 3 month long ruthless purge of all of our stuff. Seriously, if we don't love it or we hardly use it or it could easily be replaced once we return stateside again, then it's GONE. Outrageously long tube of unopened Christmas wrapping paper. GONE. Full size quilt that is sweet and simple flowery that I thought Josie might someday want in her room. GONE. Tupperware cake holder that I splurged for on myself. GONE (because who brings cakes anywhere anyway nowadays? It's all about the cupcakes, baby. I kept the cupcake holder. Yes, it's big and awkward, but I always feel so put together when I show up with my cupcakes held neatly in a container. And who doesn't love that feeling? Especially when you have been up since 4 am making said cupcakes. I figured I was worth it.)
Speaking of worth it, in this time of transition where we are working so hard to maintain a small level of peace, I have decided that I am worth a lot. I am worth it to be able to save certain things that I love that will take up precious space in our 20 foot container and I am also worth it to be able to give away things that I don't necessarily love but have been keeping because they are supposedly practical or sentimental.
I am worth it to make sure to shower, do my hair, and PUT ON MAKE-UP even on the days when I won't be going to work. (That's a biggie. Hilarious because I have 3...that's right, THREE, items of make-up I use for daily wear, foundation, bronzer, and mascara. Yes, such a rigorous routine, I know.)
I am worth it to light the nice candles for no reason whatsoever, not just to cover up some horrible smell filling the house (such as Kale Chips...oh, so tasty, but very stinky.)
And, you know what? I am worth it to drink the good tea. Not my daily Tetley, but the actual "has a blend name" kind of tea that I keep in the cupboard for "special occasions". Because Wednesday morning can be a special occasion if you choose it to be. And I do.
No comments:
Post a Comment