Throughout high school, I never knew that Will had family in North Carolina. I didn't know until my junior year of college when Will said that he was visiting family in Raleigh and he would stop on by Duke if I wanted to see him. I thought it was a total ploy at the time. Until I learned that he actually did have family outside of Raleigh and he gained a lot more credibility. (Note: Apparently it was a ploy. Not that he didn't want to see his family, but it did give him a great excuse to "stop on by" Duke, which, if I had know at the time, I would have called sneaky and "same old Will", but now, I think it is oh so sweet.)
Will's more frequent visits to Duke during our senior year afforded him more time to see his North Carolina relatives and, once it became serious, I got to tag along too. And that is how I met the beautiful soul that was Aunt Patsy. To be honest, it took me a little bit to understand her. :) I liken listening to Aunt Patsy to listening to a Shakespeare play. Initially, you might have difficulty understanding it, but once you get used to the different cadence and accents, it all becomes clear.
But frankly, Aunt Patsy spoke more volumes with her heart than she did with her words. From the moment I met her, I felt welcome. She welcomed me into her home, her family, and her dinner table. And, oh, what a dinner table it was. Biscuits, collard greens, fried chicken, and to top it all off banana pudding. Yes, indeed, I don't have the best memory, but I remember clearly that first meal at Aunt Patsy and Uncle CD's. And you could just tell (and taste) that everything was made with love. Love for a nephew she didn't get to see very often and his future wife.
I got to see Aunt Patsy quite a few more times while I was at Duke. And after that, her visit to Massachusetts, and our wedding, and five years after I graduated, I was able to stay with her when I drove up to Durham for my reunion. I learned of her quiet humor and gasping laugh. I witnessed how much she loved and cared for her family, especially her grandchildren. I saw how she quietly endured.
Aunt Patsy passed away last week at age 68. The world has lost one amazing and caring heart, but I know that Heaven has gained one. That she and CD are together again watching over their family from above. Today was her funeral and her children and grandchildren will be in my prayers tonight. God Bless Aunt Patsy.
1 comment:
That was so sweet. I am so sorry she's passed. {{{hugs}}} to you all.
Post a Comment